“Oh, that would never happen to me!” Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? This is the exact reassurance we give ourselves whenever we hear of a crime being reported. We fervently believe that it is impossible for us to fall prey to that kind of crime. But the reality is far removed from that.
Crime, especially cybercrime can affect anyone, and it is a gravely serious concern. Being an online assignment writing service, it is our duty to make our readers aware of the dangers lurking in the depths of the internet, and what can happen when one is not careful about the information he/she puts out for the world to see.
What is Cybercrime?
According to SearchSecurity, cybercrime is a crime that is committed with the help of the Internet and involves an unauthorized access to the certain information. Literally, anybody who has access to the Internet and a computer or any other device, as well as enough knowledge, can commit cybercrimes. Cybercrimes can range from fairly small to extremely heinous.
For example, an inexperienced hacker may only satisfy him/herself with changing the password to your Facebook profile, but a hacker with more expertise and finesse can go as far as hacking into your phone and retrieving all your private information.
An experienced specialist can get your bank details as well as steal money from your credit card even without the need to steal it. They can even install a malware on your PC or mobile to disable and destroy it on purpose.
The signs of cybercrime depend on the kind of crime committed. Malicious software that is hidden on the computer can slow down the speed of its operation and cause a large number of error messages to be displayed. Phishing attacks involve the user receiving e-mails from unknown senders trying to entice passwords or personal data from him or her.
Cybercriminals use a whole arsenal of highly specialized knowledge and skills to gain unauthorized access to bank accounts, commit identity theft, extort funds, fraud, harass and intimidate or use an infected computer in an extensive botnet network to commit DDoS attacks on large organizations.
How Can You Avoid Cybercrime?
The worst thing is that people don’t realize they’ve been victimized before it is too late. Also, you almost never see it coming. Cybercrime chains use a network of attackers to search for potential victims. Due to the fact that they have a better knowledge of the systems than most ordinary people do, it is next to impossible to intercept their every move. Also, they keep changing their modes of operation, so it becomes even more difficult to catch them.
Some simple steps can help you keep your device safe from cybercriminals. These are listed as follows:
1) Firstly, user long and complicated passwords. Include a combination of numbers, special characters and letters in your password to make it difficult to crack. Whatever you do, do not use something as generic as your birthday or the date of your marriage anniversary as your password
2) Install antivirus and firewalls in your system to protect it from malware and viruses that may be introduced by the hackers
3) Make sure your operating system is upgraded. Upgraded versions of operating systems are more equipped with protective devices against cyber attacks
4) In case of an invasion, make sure that all your information is backed up in a soft drive because it is likely that your computer may crash down in seconds. To be on the safe side, keep a backup drive of your information ready at all times
6) In case your profile does get hacked, report it to the cyber crime cell of your nearest police station immediately. The longer you delay, the more access the hackers gain to your private information